To my Christians friends and neighbors on Fetcher Ave, South Pasadena, Calif.,
from Eddie Billmeyer. May 24, 2007.
FAITH IS THE SUBSTANCE/EVIDENCE OF...
Some of the Subjects that will be covered in this letter:
- How important is it for Christians to live by faith, hope, and love? These three words you will find throughout this letter they will be the main subject. However you will find none of these three words will stand alone they just can’t, our Lord will not let them, they are so important in our Christian life. Each individual word will lead you into a broader understanding of the surrounding truth of Gods Word that will intertwine with each other! "All to build you up in the most holy faith!"
- What does it means to be Born-again? This new birth will not only effect our mind, heart, and soul, but have a whole lot to do with our inner spirit. The Holy Spirit opens up our spirit to the things of God that will help us to live our Christian life before God and our fellow man. "Just think born of God not of man!"
- The Oneness of all the saints in Jesus Christ. Christians need to known about the Oneness we all have in Jesus Christ. "We have been called, received, redeemed, and will be resurrected!"
- Four verses, with four different situations, from four different books of the bible that say; "The just shall live by faith". To read these verses gives us a better understanding why we are to live by faith. "Everything we have is a gift from God!" "Look around you at the many blessing He has already given us and be very thankful to our Lord Jesus Christ for everything He has provided!"
- Who are the Justand how were they declared right before God. We will look into testimonials made of old scripture saints that justified them before God. "These are saint of old looked to God for His redeeming love and also forward to the coming of Christ the Messiah!"
- Why did God give to Israel the "Ten Commandments?" How did these commandments effect and change the lives of both Jews and Gentiles? "Could it be to show their need for God?" "Could it be to show man’s sinful nature?" "Could it have been for their very safety to keep them secured in God?"
- We will learn much about the body, soul and spirit of man from the apostle Paul.
"In the bible there is much given to us on each of the subjects and there really is our need to know how God views our body, soul, and spirit!" "With our spirit we have our being with God!"
- As you read through this letter keep in mind none of the above subjects are covered in their entirety, they are just the tip of what will be open to you on each subject, there is so much more, that is why we have His Word! What is given of God’s beautiful truth is for your understanding, for you to go into His Word and make them your own.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Faith it’s almost like a vision of yourself looking ahead into the future and wondering what it’s going to be like when that day arrives, still knowing in your heart what a glorious day that will be!
Faith is like having a hand to hold on to that is invisible but you can always have confidence in that hand being there.
What is faith? It is having the confidence within yourself that someone or something you have read is believable and reliable. Faith is also that which holds us together as Christians, we believe in each other, that we are truthful and honest with each other, and that we have taken our stand with our Lord.
Faith is the substance/evidence
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Faith is accepting God at His Word
That Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
Faith is providing for your own
If anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his own household. He has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 1 Timothy 5:8
Faith with hope - the redemption of our body
We were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? Romans 8:24
Faith with hope – in the presence of our Lord
For what is hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming? 1 Thessalonians 2:19
Faith with hope – eternal life
Hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began. Titus 1:2
Faith with hope – justified by His grace
Having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:7
Faith is having confidence in The Lord Jesus Christ
Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6
By Faith we understand the Word of God
By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible. Hebrews 11:3
(The Worlds = Two statements made here, "Framed by the word of God and made of things which are not visible". Learned men need to understand this, just look around you, all this by the word of God.)
- In the beginningwas the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. John 1:1-2
- In the beginningGod created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1
Without faith it is impossible to please God
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Hebrews 11:6 (Two statements made here, "Believe that that God is, and that God rewards those who really seek Him".)
Faith comes by hearing the Word of God
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17
The author and finisher of our faith
Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross despising the shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2
For by grace are you saved through faith,
For by grace are you saved through faith and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:8-10 (it’s got to be faith)
Who has saved us and called us
Who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began. 2 Timothy 1:9
(Can any of us look back before time began?)
- For God so loved the worldthat He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
(These words jump out to me, loved, begotten Son, whosoever, not perish, everlasting life, taken all by faith.)
- That Christ died for our sinsaccording the scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
(For our sins; "Christ died, buried, rose from the grave, all according scriptures". "His Father had given Him the power to lay down His life and pick it up again!")
- Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved. Acts 16:31
(It is the only thing to do, believe on the Lord and be saved)
Stop and think about what you are reading
There are many more verses that I could give to you, that would bring out your love for our Lord Jesus Christ. Those verses are the ones that He will give you, to help you, guide you, and strengthen you along your way through your Christian life here on earth, and to prepare you for your life hereafter.
As you read through this letter let each of the verses cause you to stop what you are reading, to ask yourself; "Lord is this for me?" "Is this, to be added to my new life? Is this, what You have given to me?" "Is this, how much You really love me?"
I think you will understand what it is that you will need to do. May our Lord always bless you and keep you safe in His wonderful care and love, looking for that blessed hope of His soon returning. Remember; "HE WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU OR FORSAKE YOU."
Born-Again Believers of God
New creatures in Christ
He (Jesus Christ) came unto His own (Israel), and His own did not received Him, but as many (You or I) as received Him, to them He gave the right (power) to become children of God, to those who believed (again You or I) in His name: Who were Born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:11-13
BORN of Blood-Flesh-Man
- Not of blood = Husband and wife married
- The will of the flesh= Two people out of wed-lock
- The will of man= artificially insemination by man
- But born of God!
The name Christian is given to anyone who attends a Bible teaching church, but who really is a Christian? We must understand something, anyone can call themselves Christians, so to make it more understandable, lets call them instead born-again believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. A born-again person has had a rebirth of the inner spirit by the Holy Spirit. Before this rebirth, the inner spirit of man was only interested in things that he could do, no understanding at all of what the creator God has done for him. He is dead to God in his flesh in trespasses and sin!
- In John the third chaptera ruler of the Jews by the name of Nicodemus came to Jesus by night and called Him Rabbi a teacher come from God. He didn’t believe anyone could do the miracles that Jesus was doing unless God was with Him. Jesus said to him; "unless one is born-again they can not see the kingdom of God". This was a hard saying for Nicodemus to understand, can a man when he is old enter into his mothers womb (a second time) and be born?
- Jesus answered him saying unless one is born of "water and the Spirit", he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh that which is born of the "Spirit is spirit".
Please notice the large S in the word Spirit in the statement "water and the Spirit" there are two births here, one is our normal water birth and the other is a Holy Spirit birth.
Now notice the words "born of the Spirit is spirit", the word Spirit with a large "S" and the word spirit with a small "s", the large "S" is for the Holy Spirit, the small "s" is for the inner spirit of man. Let’s not lose the statement "unless one is born again" he cannot see or enter the kingdom of God. So this Holy Spirit birth is very important (It is a must) to our inner spirit, the Holy Spirit makes our inner spirit alive to God so we can see and enter the kingdom of God. So is everyone that is born of the Holy Spirit!
Just what does mean to be born of the Holy Spirit? Being born of the Holy Spirit, allows our inner spirit to be open to God and His Word as never before. Before this rebirth we were dead to God in trespasses and sin, without any interest what so ever in things of God.
- We were only interested in ourselves (I), what we could do for ourselves (I), by ourselves (I), we had become a god to ourselves (I).
The Holy Spirit turns our spirit, mind, heart and soul to God, giving us the interest in things of God, opening us up to His promises and His Word. Everything of God becomes very real and understandable, His word opened up our hearts and minds to Him. Having our sins forgiven lifted our souls out of despair into thankfulness and praise to the One so forgiving that He would allow us to call Him our Father in heaven.
- Do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering , not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? Romans 2:4
- Even the righteousness of God which is through faith in Jesus Christ to all and on all who believe,
- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
- Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
- Whom God set forth to be a propitiation (sacrifice for our sins) by His blood, through faith,
- To demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God passed over the sins that were previously committed,
- To demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Romans 3:22-25
Because of this rebirth of the inner spirit of the man, came also with it the renewing of the mind, the thoughts and intents of the heart, and soul. You talk about being worked over! That is what the apostle calls a new creature in Christ.
- Rebirth of our spirit = One with our Lord – peace with God
- And adding to our minds = The godly thoughts we think and act upon
- The intent of our hearts = What a change takes place within us
- Our very soul changes = Our life now has meaning as never before
Having been Born-Again through the Word of God
Since you have purified your soul in obeying the truth through the Spirit (Holy Spirit) in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born-again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever - - - - 1 Peter1:22-23
(This incorruptible SEED is a study all of it’s own!)
They who are Born (again) of God
If you know that He (God) is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteous is born of Him (God). 1 John 2:29
- You need to know that God is righteous
- Those who practice righteousness is born of God
What manner of love the Father has toward us
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called the children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are the children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 1 John 3:1-2
(We need to think on these two verses – there is so much in them for us to meditate on – Can not you just feel like crying out loud "Oh! Thank you Father for Your Bountiful Love You have given to me!")
Those Born (again) of God/ His seed remains in them
Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. 1 John 3:9-11
- Those who are born of God do not sin
- Because God’s seed remains in him
- He cannot sin because he is born of God
And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him is no sin. Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. 1 John 3:5-6
(Here again is the seed of Christ that is in every born-again believer, so please Read more about this in Romans 6:1-14)
Everyone who loves – is Born (again) of God – and knows God
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8
Born (again) of God – Begotten (born) of God
Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is Born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. 1 John 5:1
Born (again) of God – Overcomes the world – Our Faith
For whatsoever is Born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - - - - "our Faith". 1 John 5:4
Do you wish to overcome the world? Believe that Jesus is the (Christ) Son of God?
Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:5
We know that whoever is Born (again) of God does not sin;
- But he who has been Born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.
- We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.
- And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding,
- That we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ.
- This is the true God and eternal life.1 John 5:18-20
(I have given you much to think about, but again you must realize this is only the tip of the subject; "Born of God")
What faith are you?
So many Christians today will ask each other this question; "What Faith are you?" In other words; "What denomination are you a member of?" It is almost as if a Believer cannot have faith in and accept Jesus Christ as Lord of our life without having something else to take Our Lord’s place.
A Christian does not belong to any one but the Lord Jesus Christ, He gave His life for us, we are told we were bought with a price, His blood. Our Lord prayed to His heavenly Father to make all believers One, as He and the Father are One.
Paul the apostle to the Gentiles told us, "That we are all One new man in Christ". In this new man there is neither male or female, bond or free, Jew or Gentile, a foretaste of heaven, all One in Christ Jesus. No earthly man could ever do this, a unity of all believers throughout the world in Christ Jesus.
We are pilgrims and strangers in a foreign land and we are just passing through. We do look forward to be with our Lord and the love ones who have gone on to glory before us. Those we have had the privilege to meet with and have fellowship with along our Christian way through this life here on earth. I don’t think I need to tell you that it has always been a blessing to meet with them and have them to become a very large part of our Christian lives.
The Oneness of all believers in the body of Christ
As we get into the verses that fallow, we will find that there is only; One body of believers this world over, One Holy Spirit that teaches all Christians, only One hope of our calling, One Lord Jesus Christ, One faith that was handed down to us, One baptism which is not water but Spiritual baptism, One God and Father of us all.
This unity of believers is not in one place but in every nation the world over, not in one nation but all nations. The Lord is taking out people from every nation for His name sake and giving to them His own name, and they are called by His name. When you look at this body of believers you might ask, "But where is the Head of this body of believers?" In heaven of course! For as you can see by looking around you, that this is many bodies of believers all one who spiritually worship the Lord Jesus Christ in spirit and truth.
So when you ask a Christian; "What faith are you?" They should say; "My faith is in the Lord Jesus Christ". A Christian is told what ever they do in word (your talk in the Lord) or deed (your work in the Lord) all to be done in the name of the Lord. I do believe you can see who will get the glory, not us, but our Lord.
Everything we have to be thankful for in this life and that which is to come will be because of what Christ has done. And we do believe only what we do for Christ will last through this life and that which is to come!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Christian life is lived by faith
- A person begins to live by faith, when they have been freed from condemnation, freed from penalty of death, and as soon as they believe in the finish work of the Lord Jesus Christ. The truth will set them free!
- A person begins to liveas one raised out of spiritual-death (dead to God) as soon as they have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ Adam and Eve died a spiritual- death (dead to the Godhead) when they disobeyed God and eat of the forbidden fruit. It is with our spirit that we have fellowship with God. The Holy Spirit has made our spirit alive to God and His wonderful blessings.
- A person that has been forgivenof their sins and their life is made alive (anew) by our Lord very quickly learns to live by faith. They don’t live by their feelings, their devotions (form of religion), nor what they have become in life, it all takes place when they look beyond themselves to the Lord,
- A personlives their life by faith in all forms of their life, as a child, as a adolescent, as a grownup, as a wife, as a husband, as a grandmother, as a grandfather, in sickness and in health, faith becomes a living part of their lives, with everyone and everything that takes place around them.
- A personlives by faith when they have a healthy belief in God the Father, His Son, His Holy Spirit, His promises, His grace, in their own personal soul’s salvation.
- Remember– Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5
- You shall love the Lord your Godwith all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Matthew 22:37
- This day the Lord your Godcommands you to observe these statutes and judgments; therefore you shall be careful to observe them with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 26:16 (I know He gave this to the children of Israel, but as a Christian can not we observe them too?)
What a blessing – "Now abides "faith" – "hope" – "love"
And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13 (There you are all three words in one verse!)
Watch - Stand fast – be brave – be strong – in the Faith
Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
(It’s like Paul is saying; Add to your faith these four things, "be watchful – be steadfast – be brave – be strong")
The Oneness of the Oracles of God
There is One body, and One Spirit,
Just as you were called in One hope of your calling;
One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father of all,
Who is above all, and through all, and in you all. Ephesians 4:4-6
- The One body hereis the church (people for His name) that Christ is building.
- The One Spirit hereis the Holy Spirit.
- The One Hope of our callingto Christ Jesus our Lord
- The One Lord hereis the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The One Faith here is inthe Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The One Baptism hereis Holy Spirit baptism, we received when saved.
- The One God and Father here is God the Father of us all.
If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:11
The nation of Israel – the church which is Christ body
Is there a difference between God’s dealing with the nation Israel and the church which is Christ body? Yes. There is!
For the Children of Israel’s promises from God are all Physical, possession of land, as a nation of people.
Where with the church which is Christ body, the promises from God to Christians are all Spiritual, to do with ones individual life here on earth and that which is to come.
Just stop, and think about this and look into what God has promised to the Children of Israel as a nation and what God has promise to each Christian believer.
Both the nation of Israel, the church which is Christ body have similar callings;
- That the nation of Israel be a God fearing people, that God rules in their lives, that they will honor God with their lives, and they are as a nation to witness to all the nations around them these four qualities of Gods love for them.
- The Christian Lifeis God fearing, that God does rule in their life, that they honor God in their life and they want to witness by their life for the Lord Jesus Christ.
Stand fast in One spirit with One mind – striving together
Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in One spirit with One mind striving together for the faith of the gospel. Philippians 1:27
- Each of us consist of a body, a soul, and a spirit, we are all Triune Beings.
- This is your inner spirit of our bodies not the Holy Spirit that Paul is talking about, he wants all of us to stand fast together,
- As also this is the mind of our bodies that we all are to mind the same things.
- All working together to tell others of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, so they too can have soul salvation, looking ahead to the time in ages to come when we will meet Our Savior.
Our inner spirit one with Him
But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 1 Corinthians 6:17
- Allowing your inner spirit to be one with His Holy Spirit
Your whole spirit – soul –body – preserved blameless
Now, may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who will also do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
- Your whole spirit, soul and body (triune beings) sanctify completely, be preserved blameless.
We have not been given the spirit of fear, but power- love – sound mind
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- God has not given our inner spirit to fear.
- Paul wants us to know this power of God, that God gives, will strengthen us along our pilgrim way.
- Paul wants us to know this love of God, that God gives, so we can show love to those all around us.
- And besides all this, God gives us a sound mind to love each other.
Remember your Creator in the days of your youth
Remember your Creator before the silver cord is loosed, or the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher shattered at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the well. Then the dust will return to the earth as it is, and the spirit will return to God who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7
- The silver cord is loosed – Our Birth – the life we all will live
- The golden bowl is broken – The Prime of life over
- The pitcher shattered – All our dreams done, over, completed
- The wheel is broken – We have come to the end of our days
- The dust will return to earth – Death has over- taken us
- The spirit will return to God – Our spirit returns to God from where it came
This could be our wake up call for each of us, we only have one life to live, and that will soon be past.
Body without the spirit is dead
For the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26
- Dead body – No spirit
- Dead Faith – No works
- We must worship God in spirit and truth
This should help us to realize how important our spirit is for ourselves and to God the Father.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
Fear God when it comes to your body and soul
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul, but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28
- Do not fear those that can kill the body but cannot kill the soul,
- Fear Him(God) that is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Here we find another member of our body the soul!
What is your desire for your life?
For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. Matthew 16:25
- Desire to save life – Lose it = everything for yourself, what can I get out of life
- Lose life for My sake – Find it = to give your life over, to others soul salvation
The question is: "Do you desire to live your life for yourself or do you desire to live your life for Him?"
What does it profit or what will a man give for his soul?
For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his own soul? Matthew 16:26
- Gains the whole world – loses his soul?
- Exchange for his soul - What will he accept?
Again we see how important our soul should be to us, gain all that is in the world in exchange for your soul? How wise is that?
What would you give or take in exchange for your soul?
For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? Matthew 16:26
- Jesus asked this question of His when He asked them to follow Him.
- Gain all that is in the world for your soul?
- What would you give in exchange for your soul that God has given you?
I did write this verse twice because I want you and I to realize how important our soul should be to both you and I as well it is to God the Father. Your "soul" is your birth-right (breath of life) that God has given to you at your birth, it is in our hands.
Would you give your birthright away for some red stew?
- Now Jacob cooked a stew; and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary. And Esau said to Jacob, "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary." Therefore his name was called Edom (red).
- But Jacob said, "Sell me your birthright as of this day." And Esau said, "look, I am about to die; so what profit shall this birthright be to me?" Then Jacob said, "Swear to me as of this day." So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob.
- And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he eat and drank, rose, and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright. Genesis 25:29-34
- So I commended enjoyment, because a man has nothing better under the sun than to eat, drink, and be merry; for this will remain with him in his labor for the days of his life which God gives him under the sun. Ecclesiastes 8:15
- Pursue peace with all men, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: Looking diligently lest anyone fall shot of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. Hebrews 12:16-17
- My question is: "What did this do to Esau and his soul?
Our very soul belongs to God
Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son are Mine; the soul who sins shall die. Ezekiel 18:4
- All soulsof mankind belong to God.
- The soulwho sins will die – turn to the Lord before it’s to late
- Look to the Fathers plan of salvation for your soul
Our soul (Breath of life) departs from our body at death
And so it was, as her soul was departing (for she was dieing), that she (Rachel) called his name Ben-Oni (son of my sorrow); but his father (Jacob) called him Benjamin (son of the right hand). Genesis 35:18
- The soul,the life in which we have lived comes to an end at death.
- The souldies with the body and is buried with the body, both waiting for the resurrection of the soul and body in the day of our Lord.
Pouring out the spirit of deep sleep, closed eyes, covered heads
For the Lord has poured out on you the spirit of deep sleep, and has closed your eyes, namely the prophets; and He has covered your heads namely, the seers. Isaiah 29:10
- Please notice that the Lord has closed the eyes of the prophets.
- Please notice that the Lord has covered the heads of the seers.
- How has He done this? By pouring out on them "the spirit of deep sleep".
- Remember this is their inner spirit that He has caused to be in deep sleep.
- I do believe that you can see from this verse the controlling influence that our spirit has on our eyes, heads (minds) and bodies.
The spirit of man knows what is in him
For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? 1 Corinthians 2:11
- If a man wants to know the things that are in him, he is to look to his own spirit.
Renewed in heart, became alive in spirit to God
But he is a Jew who is one inwardly and circumcision is of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter, whose praise is not from men but God. Romans 2:29
- To the Jews were committed the oracles of God.
- There has been a complete change in this Jews heart.
- The spirit of this Jew has been made over (we call it "Born Again to God").
- It is God who praises him for what has happened to him.
Absent with his body, present in his spirit, judge as you know I would judge in spirit
For I (Paul) indeed, as absent in the body but present in the spirit, have already judged, as though I were present, concerning him who has done this (wicked) deed.
In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you gather together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. 1 Corinthians 5:3-5
"What is important here?" What this man a brother has become, what the assembly must to do about this man, do your judging in the name and the power of the Lord Jesus Christ, I am with you in spirit and judgment. The thought here is this man has become sexual immoral, consuming his flesh, pray that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.
- Paul can’t be there at this meeting but he is asking them to accept his spirit as being there with them. And they were to judge this man a brother as they know his spirit would judge.
- He has already judged the issue concerning the deed (sexual immorality) done by this man.
- In the nameof our Lord Jesus Christ, in the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, handle this matter.
- When you gather together, along with my spirit, remember a little leaven leavens the whole lump
Separate yourselves from immoral believers
- I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since than you would need to go out of this world. (These are the people we are to witness to for our Lord, to bring them to a saving knowledge of His salvation.)
- But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner – not even to eat with such a person. 1 Corinthians 5:9-11
Paul will not judge those who are not Christians, God Judges them.
- For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside (people of the world around us)?
- Do you not judge those who are inside (fellow Christians)?
- But those who are outside (people of the world) God judges.
- Therefore put away from yourselves that wicked person (a brother).
1 Corinthians 5:12-13
Your faith in Jesus Christ,
Your love for all the saints,
Your hope laid up in heaven
We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of Your Faith in Christ Jesus
- Your Lovefor all the saints;
- The hopewhich is laid up for you in heaven,
- You heardbefore in the word of the truth of the gospel,
- Has come to you, as it (the gospel) has also in all the world,
- Bringing forth fruit, as it (the gospel) is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth; - - - Colossians 1:3-6
Your faith grows exceedingly, Your love for each other abounds
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because Your Faith grows exceedingly, and The Love of every one you all, abounds toward each other, so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches (assemblies) of God for Your Patience and Tribulations that you endure - - - - 2 Thessalonians 1:2-4
Timothy do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord – Or of Me
- Therefore I (Paul) remind you (Timothy) to stir up the gift of God (the gift of responsibility), which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
- For God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and love and a sound mind.
- Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with, a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,
- But has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. 2 Timothy 1:6-10
(Timothy, do not be afraid, nor ashamed, share with me in the suffering that comes with giving to other’s the gospel about our Lord Jesus Christ! God has not given Christians a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind.)
A servant, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the faith of God’s elect
Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which is according to godliness, in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior; to Titus, my true son in our common faith: "Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior. Titus 1:1-4
(Grace, Mercy, and Peace three beautiful words to a saved sinner!)
THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH
Four different verses from four different books of the Bible - with four totally different circumstances - the same advice given to all four.
We are told in all four verses "That the just shall live by faith" very clear. So if you want to be just before God "You must live by faith." Your faith here is going to be the issue, your faith in what? How about you placing your faith in God and His word. In a book that has been written years before our time in life, to inform, remind, exhort, caution, advise, given to be used in our life that all through our years we will be learning. The life that our Lord gives is to be received by faith, which makes a person just. This life is to be kept by faith, which continues to make a person just. So clearly spoken so many times can we refuse such strong advise?
THE FOUR VERSES
THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH
HE IS A PROUD MAN/ HIS SOUL IS NOT UPRIGHT
- "Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; "But the just shall live by his faith." Habakkuk 2:4
Then the Lord answered me and said: Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; but at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. Habakkuk 2:2-3
HE IS A PROUD MAN
He does not stay at home
He enlarges his desires as hell
He is like death, and cannot be satisfied
He gathers to himself all nations
And heaps up for himself all peoples Habakkuk 2:5
Woe to him who increases what is not his - - - - how long? And he who loads himself with many pledges? -----Habakkuk 2:6
Woe to him who covets evil gain for his house, the he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of disaster! -----Habakkuk 2:9
Woe to him who builds a town with bloodshed, who establishes a city by iniquity! Habakkuk 2:12
Woe to him who gives drink to his neighbor, pressing him to your bottle, even to make him drunk, that you may look on his nakedness! Habakkuk 2:15
Woe to him who says to wood, "Awake!" To silent stone, "Arise!" It shall teach!
Behold, it is overlaid with gold and silver, and in it there is no breath at all. Habakkuk 2:19
But the Lord is in His holy temple. Let all the earth keep silence before Him. Habakkuk 2:20
The just shall live by his faith, make it (the massage) plain , that he may run, the vision is yet for an appointed time, at the end it will speak, it will not lie, wait for it, it will surely come, it will not tarry. "The Lord is in His holy temple. Let all the earth keep silence before Him."
THE LAW IS NOT OF FAITH
- "But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."
Yet the law is not of faith, but "The man who does them shall live by them."
Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree") Galatians 3:10,12-13
Written without the italicization:
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the law, for it is written, but that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for, yet the law is not of faith, but Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit (Holy) through faith. Galatians 3:10-14
- Works of the law are under the law,
- No one is justified by the law in the sight of God,
- The law is not of faith,
- Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law
- Having become a curse for us,
- That the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus,
- That we might receive the promise of the Spirit (Holy) through faith.
THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD REVEALED IN THE GOSPEL
3) "For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." Romans 1:17
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. Romans 1:8
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. Romans 1:18
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, Romans 1:19
The gospel of Christ, is the power of God, for salvation to everyone who believes, this is passed on from faith to faith, through which the righteousness of God is revealed to us, so that we continue to live by faith.
- His Invisible attributes are clearly seen
- Understood by the things that are made
- Even His eternal power and Godhead
THOSE WHO BELIEVE TO THE SAVING OF THE SOUL
4) "Now the "The just shall live by faith"; but if anyone draws back. My soul has no pleasure in him." Hebrews 10:38
Therefore, brethren, having the boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is His flesh, and having a High Priest over the house of God,
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works. Hebrews 10:19-24
For yet a little while, and He who is coming will come and will not tarry. Hebrews 10:37
Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise: Hebrews 10:35-36
But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul. Hebrews 10:39
(Draw near to our Lord with a true heart with full assurance of faith,
Hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering,
We are not those that draw back to perdition.
Don’t lose your confidence in the Lord our Lord is coming,
Don’t draw back, for we do have the need for endurance.
This is the will of God believe on the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the saving of your soul and live by faith.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Just who are they and how do they live today - by faith
Remember as we go through this study I am looking at that which has to do with Faith, and righteousness as explained in His written word. How does God look at our faith in Him and His Son. The righteousness of Our Faith and the righteousness of God as He looks into our Christian Lives are two separate issues.
Now Faith is the substance ON things hoped for, the evidence OF things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
- Substance = All that is involved to bring about this faith.
- Evidence = Proof of substance, that which makes things real to us.
(What the apostle Paul is giving in the book of Romans is letting us Gentiles known, how we came to have favor with God, what we must do about God, His Son, and His written Word! That which is more meaningful to God, then the keeping of the Law or doing a lot of good works under the law trying to please God!)
Paul opens his letter to the saints at Rome
Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, Separated to the gospel of God, Which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures,
Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to flesh,
And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the Spirit of holiness by the resurrection from the dead, through whom we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name, among whom you (Gentiles also are the called of Jesus Christ: To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Romans 1:1-7
Servant of Jesus Christ, called to apostleship, separated to the gospel of God
- A servant of Jesus Christ
- Calledto be an apostle
- Separatedto the gospel of God
God promised, His prophets, His Son, seed of David, the Holy Spirit, Resurrection
- The gospel of God which He promised before
- ThroughHis prophets in the Holy scriptures
- ConcerningHis Son Jesus Christ our Lord
- Bornof the seed of David according to the flesh
- Declaredto be the Son of God with power
- Accordingto the (Holy) Spirit of holiness
- Bythe resurrection from the dead
Received grace, apostleship for obedience to the faith
- Through whomwe have received grace and apostleship
- Obedience to the faithamong all nations for His name
Gentiles called of Jesus Christ, called to be saints
- Among whom you (Gentiles)also are called of Jesus Christ
- Beloved of God, called to be saints
The apostle Paul speaks of the obedience to your faith
And of our mutual faith, from the book of Romans
(The apostle Paul) Received grace and apostleship for obedience of the faith among all nations for His name. Romans 1:5
First I (Paul) thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. Romans 1:8
For I (Paul) long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established - - - that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. Romans 1:12
(Not only does Paul want to impart some spiritual gift to them but he also wants them to impart some spiritual gift to him. This is what we (Christians) call; "As having spiritual fellowship one with another, we left each other up in the most holy faith.")
We are to learn of God’s attributes, His eternal power,
His Godhead, His goodness, His forbearance, His longsuffering
Since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they (Everyone of us, Jew or Gentle) are without excuse. Romans 1:20
(We need to believe and see) The riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you (and I) to repentance? Romans 2:4
(Just think of this) If our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteous of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.) Romans 3:5
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Romans 3:19
Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:20
Justified by faith/ Access by faith – Into this Grace
Therefore having been justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:1-2 (Read verses 3-4 also)
Without strength / still sinners / enemies / reconciled to God
For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. Romans 5:6
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. Romans 5:10
- In due time Christ died for the ungodly - - - -
- Christ died for us - - - -
- Through the death of His Son - - - -
- We shall be saved - - - - (read verses 7-9-11)
Justified by faith in Christ Jesus, from the book of Galatians
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Christ Jesus Christ, even we (Paul is speaking about himself and other Jewish believers) have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. Galatians 2:16
With purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of the mediator. Galatians 3:19
Now a mediator (God is our mediator) does not mediate for one only, but God is one. Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. Galatians 3:20-21
But the scripture has confined all under sin, "that the promise by faith in Christ Jesus might be given to those who believe." But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith, which would afterward be revealed. Galatians 3:22-23
Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith, but after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:24-26
I must go into the law of Moses, because of the above verses, I do think it would be to our advantage if we did.
The Ten Commandments are Gods first covenant that He made with the Children of Israel. Deuteronomy 4:13,23
The first covenant was dedicated with Blood. Hebrews 9:18-22
The First Covenant sprinkled with blood from the book of Exodus
This is the First covenant that God made with the Children of Israel commanding them to take heed to yourselves to keep it, dedicated with the sprinkling of blood on the tablets and the people.
"Commandments for man’s relationship to God"
And God spoke all these words, saying: I am the Lord your God, who brought you (the children of Israel) out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- You shall have no other gods before Me.
- You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
"Commandments for man’s relationship to man"
- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s house;
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife,
- Nor his manservant, nor his maidservant,
- Nor his ox, nor his donkey,
- Nor anything that is your neighbor’s. Exodus 20:1-17
The Children of Israel response to Moses
Now all the people witnessed the thundering, the lightning flashes, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood afar off. (Because of the thundering, the lightning, the trumpet, the mountain smoking)
Then they said to Moses, "You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die."
- Why did the Children of Israel not want God to speak to them, less they die?
- What purpose does the law serve for man and God?
- Was the law added because of transgressions?
- Is the law against the promises of God?
- Could righteousness have come from/or by the law?
- How did the law drive us to faith?
- How does the law stop every mouth?
- How does the law make the world become guilty before God?
- How did the law kept all of us under guard?
- How was the law a tutor to bring us to Christ Jesus?
- How does the law give us the knowledge of sin?
- How is it by the deeds of the law, no flesh can be justified before God?
- Why is it because of the law a Mediator is needed between God and Man?
- Will our unbelief of God make the faithfulness of God for us to be of none effect?
- How did Jesus Christ fulfill the law and the prophets?
- How is the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed?
- How is the righteousness of God, which is through faith revealed?
- How is one justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law?
- Is He the God of Israel only? Is He not God to the Gentiles too?
(All of the above questions we need to ask ourselves and go into the Word of God and find the answers.)
Moses makes it very clear why
God gave Israel the Ten Commandments
And Moses said to the people, "Do not fear; for God has come to test you, and that His fear may be before you, so that you may not sin. Exodus 20:18-20
(The first four commandments are the Children of Israel’s relationship to God.
The next five through ten are to be the Children of Israel’s relationship to other
As you can see by reading the commandments, that we all can learn from them
What God wanted from the Israelites towards Him and also that God wanted the
Israelites to honor their fathers, mothers and to respect their fellow man.
There in falls their failure towards God and their fellow man. Can you not see
Where we all fall short in our ability to keep any of the Ten Commandments?
The law told the Israelites what to do, but the law did not provide the Israelites the will or the power (self-will) to do any one of the commandments!!)
The Ten Commandments a covenant between the Children of Israel and God
From the book of Deuteronomy
So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone. Deuteronomy 4:13
Take heed to yourselves, lest you forget the covenant of the Lord your God which He made with you, and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of anything which the Lord your God has forbidden you. Deuteronomy 4:23.
New tablets of stone made, God wrote on the tablets the Ten Commandments
At that time the Lord said to me, "Hew for yourself two tablets of stone like the first, and come up to Me on the mountain and make yourself an ark of wood. And I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke; and you shall put them in the ark. So I made an ark of acacia wood, hewed two tablets of stone like the first, and went up the mountain, having the two tablets in my hand. And He wrote on the tablets according to the first writing, the Ten Commandments, which the Lord had spoken to you in the mountain from the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly; and the Lord gave them to me. Then I turned and came down from the mountain, and put the tablets in the ark which I had made; and there they are, just as the Lord commanded me. Deuteronomy 19:1-5
The two tablets of stone which contained the Ten Commandments was dedicated with blood from the book of Hebrews
Therefore not even the first covenant was dedicated without blood. For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, saying; "This is the blood of the covenant which God has commanded you." Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle (Inside the tabernacle were the two tablets of stone) and all the vessels of the ministry. And according to the law almost all things are purged with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission. Hebrews 9:18-22
Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law from the book of Matthew
Do not think I come to destroy the law or the prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one title will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Matthew 5:17-18
Redemption of our bodies, souls, and spirits
For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, then we eagerly wait for it with perseverance. Romans 8:24-25
Hope = Hope is one of the first-fruits of the Holy Spirit,
Hope = Hope that is seen is not hope,
Hope = Hope for what we do not see,
Hope = Eagerly wait for it.
Therefore, having been justified by faith, WE have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also WE have access by faith into this grace in which WE stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:1-2
Justified = By our faith in the Father and the Son,
Peace = When we have yielded to the Father’s testimony of His Son,
Access = By our faith into the Father’s and Son’s saving grace,
Grace = God’s Grace has allowed us to stand sin free in His presence,
Rejoice = Knowing what He has said He will perform.
Hope = One day be in the presents of the Father, Son, heavenly hosts.
God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Because of his faith "Called and separated by God"
Because of Paul’s faith in God he was called and separated by God, to declare the Gospel of God, to the Gentles in Rome. Who by faith also were called of Jesus Christ, beloved of God, called to be saints, given grace and peace from God the Father and His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. It is interesting that God promised this through His Holy prophets in the old scriptures, concerning His Son who would be born of the seed of king David in the flesh, with power by the Holy Spirit, and by His son’s resurrection from the dead.
Righteousness of God
And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things*, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads to repentance? Romans 2:2-3
*(Practicing such things as sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness, Envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness, whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, Violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, Untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful. Can those who practice such things turn to God and be forgiven? Yes, Don’t despise the goodness, forbearance, longsuffering of God towards you, this is what will lead you to repentance, forgiveness and favor with God.)
- The riches of God: Goodness, forbearance, longsuffering
- The Goodness of God: Leads to repentance
The faithfulness and the righteousness of God revealed
What if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? Certainly not! For then, how will God judge the world? Romans 3:3-6
- The faithfulness of God: God’s wiliness to hear unbeliever’s cry.
- The righteousness of God: God’s wiliness to forgive.
But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the prophets, Even the righteousness of God, which is through faith in Jesus Christ to all and on all Who believe.
For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
whom God set forth to be a propitiation (sacrifice) by His blood, through faith,
to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness,
that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Romans 3:21-27
- All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
- The sinner is justified freely by His (God’s) grace,
- Through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
- Whom God set forth to be a propitiation (sacrifice) by His (Jesus) blood,
- Through faith, to demonstrate His (God’s) righteousness,
- Because in His forbearance God passed over the sins that were previously committed,
- To demonstrate at the present time His righteousness,
- That He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
The following list of people were like you and I, who lived their daily lives like, going through the trails and tribulations of everyday living. They were no different then any one of us, putting their hopes and trust in the Lord, taking Him at His word.
There is this different, "they were believers in God before the Son of God came to earth", they looked forwards to the coming of their Messiah, we look back to His coming. We have this example of Abraham;
- "He (Abraham) believe in the Lord and the Lord accounted his belief to him for righteousness." Genesis 15:6
- For what does the Scripture say? Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Romans 4:3
- He (Abraham) did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He would also perform. And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness. Romans 4:20-22
Belief in God and His promises
By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain - - -
By faith Enoch was translated so that he did not see death - - -
By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen - - -
By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would afterward receive as an inheritance - - -
By faith Sarah herself also received strength to conceive seed - - -
By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come - - -
By faith Joseph when he was dying, made mention of the departure of the children of Israel - - -
By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of pharaoh’s daughter - - -
By faith he (Moses) forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured as seeing Him who is invisible - - -
By faith he (Moses) kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, lest he who destroyed the firstborn should touch them - - -
By faith they (the children of Israel) passed through the Red Sea as by dry land - - -
By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they were encircled for seven days - - -
By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe - - - -
(At the end of the above lines you will notice this - - -, what it means, there is much more given of each person then what I have written!)
And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah, also David and Samuel and the prophets:
- Who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
- Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to fight the armies of the aliens.
- Women received their dead raised to life again*. And others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might a better resurrection. Still others had trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment.
- They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented - - - - of whom the world was not worthy.
- They wandered in deserts and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth. Hebrews 11:1-40
Their dead raised to life again
*Now it happened after these things that the son of the woman who owned the house became sick. And his sickness was so serious that there was no breath left in him. So she said to Elijah, "What have I to do with you, O man of God? Have you come to me to bring my sin to remembrance, and to kill my son?"
And he said to her, "Give me your son." So he took him out of her arms and carried him to the upper room where he was staying, and laid him on his bed. Then he cried out to the Lord and said, "O Lord my God, have You also brought tragedy on the widow with whom I lodge, by killing her son?"
And he stretched himself out on the child three times, and cried out to the Lord and said, "O Lord my God, I pray, let this child’s soul come back to him." Then the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came back to him, and he revived.
And Elijah took the child and brought him down from the upper room into the house, and gave him to his mother. And Elijah said, "See your son lives!"
Then the woman said to Elijah, "Now by this "I know that you are a man of God, and the word of the Lord in your mouth is the truth." 1 Kings 17"17-24
(I gave you the whole passage because I wanted you to witness the love and concern of Elijah for this woman and her son. And Elijah pleaded "O Lord my God twice! One – What are You doing to me? Two – Let this child live, "And the Lord answered Elijah!)
Is it well with your child?
*So he (Elisha) said, "What is to be done for her (Shunammite woman)?" And Gehazi answered, "Actually she has no son, and her husband is old" And he said, "Call her." When he her called her, she stood in the doorway. Then he (Elisha) said, "About this time next year you shall embrace a son." And she said, "No my lord, man of God, do not lie to your maidservant!" And the woman conceived, and bore a son when the appointed time had come, of which Elisha had told her.
So the child grew. Now it happened one day that he went out to his father, to the reapers. And he said to his father, "My head, my head!" So he (father) said to a servant, "Carry him to his mother." When he had taken him and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died. And she went up and laid him on the bed of the man of God, shut the door upon him and went out. - - - - - 2 Kings 4:14-21
- - - - - So she departed, and went to the man of God at Mount Carmel. And so it was, when the man of God saw her afar off, that he said to his servant Gehazi, "Look, there is the Shunammite woman. "Please run now to meet her, and say to her. Is it well with you? Is it well with your husband? Is it well with your child?" And she answered, "It is well." Now when she came to the man of God at the hill, she caught him by the feet, but Gehazi came near to push her away. But the man of God said, "Let her alone; for her soul is in deep distress, and the Lord has hidden it from me, and has not told me." And she said, "Did I ask a son of my lord? Did I not say, "Do not deceive me?"
Then he said to Gehazi, "Get yourself ready, and take my staff in your hand, and be on your way. If you meet anyone, do not greet him, and if anyone greets you, do not answer him; but lay my staff on the face of the child." And the mother of the child said, "As the Lord lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you." So he arose and followed her.
Now Gehazi went ahead of them, and laid the staff on the face of the child; but there was neither voice nor hearing. Therefore he went back to meet him, and told him, saying, "The child has not awakened." And when Elisha came into the house, there was the child, lying dead on his bed. He went in therefore, shut the door behind the two of them, and prayed to the Lord. And he went up and lay on the child, and put his mouth on his mouth, his eyes on his eyes, and his hands on his hands, and he stretched himself out on the child, and the flesh of the child became warm.
He returned and walked back and forth in the house, and again went up and stretched himself on him; then the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes. And he called Gehazi and said, "Call this Shunammite woman." So he called her. And when she came in to him, he said, "Pick up your son." So she went in, fell at his feet, and bowed to the ground; then she picked up her son and went out. 2 Kings 4:25-37
(Again I gave you the whole passage, you will have to excuse me, it brought tears of sadness and tears of joy to my eyes, such love and compassion, so deeply felt by Elisha for this woman and her son.)
Noah walked with God
"Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a JUST man, perfect (mature) in his generations." Noah walked with God. Genesis 6:9
Cornelius one who feared God
"And they (three Men) said, Cornelius the centurion, a JUST man, one who fears God and has a good reputation among all the nation of the Jews, was divinely instructed by a holy angel to summon you (Peter) to his house, and to hear words from you. Acts 10:22"
Moses proclaim the name of the Lord
"For I (Moses) proclaim the name of the Lord: Ascribe greatness to our God. He is the Rock, His work is perfect (or JUST); for all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; righteous and upright is He." Deuteronomy 32:3-4
Faith is taking God at His Word.
Our Christian life is surrounded by our faith in God and His word.
The wages of sin is death,
But the gift of God is eternal life in Christ (Messiah) Jesus (Salvation) our Lord. Romans 6:23
The salvation God offers to all mankind
By grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
What does the righteousness of faith say!
"The word is near you, even in your mouth, and in your heart, that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe with your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:6,8
With the heart (believe) / with the mouth (confession)!
For with the heart one believes to righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made to salvation. For the scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be shame." Romans 10:9
Call upon the name of the Lord
For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13
- As a Christian, we believe that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures, found in 1 Corinthians15:3-4
- We accept this byfaith, and we believe that God the Father sent His Son to earth to be His only sacrifice and redeemer for our sins. And we by our faith take God at His word.
- As a Christian, we believe that Christ died, was buried, and was risen from the grave by the Father and is now in heaven, so we shall die, be buried, and to be raised from the grave, to be with our Lord and Savior forever.
When you by faith take God at His word,
Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:1-2
By one man’s (Adam’s) disobedience we were all made sinners, by one man’s (Jesus Christ) obedience many (could be you) will be made righteous. Romans 5:12-21
Redeeming us from the curse of the Law. Man’s redemption from the fall, Romans 7:6
The renewing of our inner man by the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit, who delivers us from the power (natural sinful self) of the flesh, Romans 8:9-11
- Who allows us to have fellowship with God, Romans 8:14-16
- Who assures us of future glory, Romans 8:18-19
- Who assures us of final victory, Romans 8:31-39
Restoring us from the resurrection of the dead to be with Him in Heaven when we leave this earth,
Allowing us to be His ambassadors (live our lives for our Lord Jesus Christ) for His Son,
Giving to us open communion through prayer to Him, and above all has given us eternal life to be with our Lord Jesus Christ forever.
I am going to end this letter praying for you and your love-ones and as you read through the following verses may our Lord help you to realize such beauty that is unfolding before you;
- "But God, who is rich in mercy,
- Because of His great love with which He loved us",
- Even when we were dead in trespasses,
- Made us alive togetherwith Christ (by grace you have been saved),
- And raised us up together,
- And made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
- That in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus,
- For by grace you have been savedand that not of yourselves;
- It is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:4-9
If you have any questions to what I have written – Please let me know – I will be very glad to answer them. May the Lord bless each and every one of you and keep you safe till we meet again.
Your brother in Christ
Return to Top Return to Navigation